Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I'll never forget his booming laughter


Dear Stephen and Peggy,

Yesterday I received the word that your Dad had gone to his reward and

is now in heaven. I have been trying to picture him there, but not
having been there myself yet, it is hard to know truly what to expect.



We can comfort ourselves with the sure knowledge that his pain and
suffering is over and that he has heard the welcome home words, "Well
done, thou good and faithful servant."

For me, he has always been a great motivator, a totally dedicated
doctor and a devoted Christian. He always seemed to be in control of every situation. No wonder the African people called him Kahaya, the big white chief. He never asked you to do something. He told you to do something. When I first met him, while I was working at Sunnybrook, he was showing his pictures and told of the needs in Africa and the personnel he was hoping to recruit while he was home. A lab tech was on the list.  I had felt the call of God to serve Him full time, but never expected to do that in my own beloved profession. When I spoke to him afterwards, he said apply to the mission and by the way, it would be helpful if you learned how to take simple X rays. 

Wow, that was my first introduction to Dr. Bob. Well, Sunnybrook was very helpful and
allowed me to use all my off days in the X-Ray department.


I remember one time at Mukinge when I had gone home from the lab. I was feeling
miserable with a really bad headache. While I was resting, there was a knock on my door and the message: Bob wants you in the operating room ( I sometimes had to start a IV when they were
short of hands.) So I went back to the hospital. He took one look at me and sent me right back home to bed. He was demanding, but not unreasonable and that is the reason he was capable of accomplishing so much. He demanded a lot of others, but first of all of himself. He was a true example.


My time in Africa has always been and will always be the highlight of my life.

I'll never forget his booming laughter, because you won't let me.
Whenever I hear you laugh, you sound just like him.

May you both be comforted to know that many of us are praying for you
during these difficult days,

With love,


Corrie Hubert

No comments:

Post a Comment